Certain action steps are necessary to facilitate a smooth separation from the university. Below are links to guidelines for processing separations.
- List of different types of separations
- Voluntary separation
End of appointment
- Transferring to another department on campus
Intercampus transfer from UCLA to another UC campus without a break in service
- For all separations
Notify HRPC South Office of impending separation.
Complete and submit an HR Action Form or a Laserfiche Transaction by 11:00am and at least 4 business days prior to separation date to ensure final check is processed timely.
If separation is on the weekend, an HRAF or Laserfiche Transaction should be submitted by the prior Wednesday 11:00am to ensure final paycheck is available.
Collect all UCLA property (if applicable), including:
- ID badge
- Pager / cell phone and other mobile devices
- Laptop, iPad or other mobile device
- Travel Expense Card
- If employee has local key code access, notify appropriate staff to disable access
Notify appropriate staff to have employee's access from departmental systems be disabled.
- Voluntary separations, including end of appointments and transfers
- Departments should ask employee for a letter of resignation or transfer confirming effective date. If employee does not provide a letter, supervisor should send email acknowledging resignation.
- Involuntary separations
- Departments should discuss involuntary separations with Employee & Labor Relations Consultant, Miriana Llamas-Cardenas.
Important Reminder for Employees Retiring on July 1, 2020
In response to the stay-at-home order issued by Governor Gavin Newsom for Californians, the UC Retirement Administration Service Center (RASC) has transitioned to remote operations. Please be assured that UC pension payments will continue on schedule.
During this time, RASC representatives will be unable to answer calls as usual or to receive physical mail in a timely manner. If you have an urgent question or service request, contact RASC by sending a secure message through your UC Retirement At Your Service (UCRAYS) account. You may send documents as secure message attachments or by fax to 1-800-792-5178.
If you are planning to retire on July 1, 2020, you must submit all required documents to RASC by May 15, 2020, for RASC to process your first retirement check on August 1, 2020. The August 1 date assumes that all documents are submitted and that there are no other circumstances, e.g., service credit adjustments or multiple tiers, that might impact processing time.
The fastest way to get your documents into RASC is by using your UCRAYS account. You will also be able to track the progress of your retirement processing in UCRAYS.
For instructions and a step-by-step guide, Steps for Retirement Online, for uploading your retirement documents into UCRAYS. We appreciate your understanding of the temporary remote retirement process through RASC during these challenging times.
Resources for Employees Considering Retirement
For a step-by-step guide for uploading your retirement documents into UCRAYS, go to Steps for Retirement Online.
The UCNet’s website Preparing for Retirement has a checklist on preparing for retirement.
The UCLA Emeriti/Retirees Relations Center has a Steps to Retirement brochure.
UCOP is offering two webinars regarding the topics below. For a schedule of the classes and the registration link, please go to When You’re Ready to Retire. The webinars cover the following topics:
- Preparing for Retirement - presented monthly by representatives from the Retirement Administration Service Center (RASC)— covers topics such as understanding UC Retirement Plan (UCRP) pension benefits, retirement savings, and retiree health coverage.
- The UC Retirement Process — Step by Step webinar: For UCRP members who are planning to retire within the next 4-12 months. It is offered twice a month in May and June and monthly thereafter — explains everything you need to know about the retirement process, including required forms, important deadlines, and helpful resources.
For questions, contact the Retirement Administration Service Center (RASC) and have your questions ready. During this time, however, RASC representatives are unable to answer calls as usual.
- If you have an urgent question or service request, please contact RASC by sending a secure message through your UC Retirement At Your Service (UCRAYS) account. You may send documents as secure message attachments or by fax to 1-800-792-5178. For details regarding contacting RASC, please refer to the first attachment in this email. For how-to guides and resources to how to access the UCRAYS account and take care of essential tasks, refer to Getting help with UC Retirement At Your Service (UCRAYS).
- Callers with certain urgent issues, including those who are not able to access their UC Retirement At Your Service (UCRAYS) account, may call 1-800-888-8267 and leave a voice message so a representative can return your call as soon as possible.
Moving Forward with Retirement
1. With consultation with RASC, employees must submit their resignation to the department with an effective date. RASC can provide consultation on the best effective date of retirement.
2. Employees must update their information in UCPath to ensure that correspondence and any communications are sent to the correct contact information. For reference on how to update key contact information, please refer to the related links on this page.
3. Employees must cancel their parking permit on their last day. For further information, you may refer them to your departments’ Parking Coordinator. Instructions regarding canceling the parking permit can also be found on the following page: https://www.transportation.ucla.edu/campus-parking/faculty-and-staff/payment-recharge-or-cancellation-of-parking-permit.
If you have any questions, you may contact the UC Retirement Administration Service Center (RASC) using their contact information on their page: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/contacts/rasc.html.
Departmental Actions:1. Department submits the HR Action Form via email to email@example.com or via Laserfiche Form to HR & Payroll Center – South. Please also attach other departmental separation documents needed.
2. Departments should begin projecting hours on timecards beginning June 15, 2020, through June 29, 2020. The HRPC-S Payroll Team is available for consultation regarding projected timecard entries.
3. If the department is requesting retirement gift cards, they must send requests to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.